Wednesday, July 13, 2005

iSpy on iTrippers

I made up a new game for my 50-minute commute from work: listening in on other people's iPod broadcasts.

I stumbled upon this a few weeks ago. I have an iTrip for my iPod, which broadcasts the sound from my iPod onto nearby FM radios. Like Mr. Microphone, only it works. It's a great, wireless way for me to listen to my iPod in my car.

One day, when I turned off my iPod but was still tuned to the iTrip station, someone else's iPod was playing on my radio. A tricked-out hatchback was playing rap. A few days later, an 18-wheeler was playing a redone Al Green or Kool and the Gang song.

Today I decided to tune my radio to the iTrip station on purpose, to see what I could pick up and how long it would take me to do so. While I was going north on the route 9 bridge in Sayreville tonight, a guido car speeding by in the left lane was playing guido music. Later as I turned off of route 1 towards my apartment, I was treated to a talk about the SS Mississippi from the mini van behind me.

Sure, you have to sit through 10 or 15 minutes of static until you pick something up, but if you don't get the least bit giddy when you do, I'll eat my own head!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What frequency are you listening to? My first-generation iTrip can tune to any frequency between 87.9 and 107.9 MHz, so I don't think there's a default frequency on mine.

You know, not all of these things you hear will be iPods. My SkyFi2 XM Radio, for example, includes an FM modulator as well, as do many other plug-and-play satellite receivers. I'll have to check to see if other people can hear what I'm listening to if they tune to 88.1, which is where the FM modulator on my SkyFi is tuned. (God, I'm such a radio geek....)

Speechless said...

Now that this comment is way out-of-date, I was listening to 87.9. There are at least two other frequencies you can set the iPod to (I forget what they are), so I'll have to check those out as well.