Tuesday, September 19, 2006

If I Had a Hammer

I've been listening to the Smithsonian's series of podcasts, which is very good, about the American Folkways record label. As I was listening to Pete Seeger lead his audience in singing "If I Had a Hammer," I realized how powerless the person in the song is. He/she has all these wonderful intentions of hammering for justice, ringing in liberty, and singing with his brothers and sisters if only he/she had a hammer, a bell, or a song.
 
But the person doesn't have a hammer, or a bell, or I guess a song (but isn't this the song he/she wished they had? What song do they want?) so what are they going to do in the meantime? Sit around and wait for those things? I mean, what are they going to do about it?
 
If I had some eggs, I could make some ham and eggs, if I had some ham.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, If I had a hammer is actually a song about being powerless just like You are My Sunshine is about misery and loss. Man those folkies really like to mess with your head. I guess this proves you actually have to listen to the lyrics of songs. Something I have trouble with.

Anonymous said...

Just like Lonely Is (As Lonely Does) by the dB's is a positive song...