Thursday, August 03, 2006

Pee Wee's Playhouse

I've been watching Cartoon Network's Adult Swim's reruns of Pee Wee's Playhouse (Wikipedia's entry) and it really takes me back to the late 80's/early 90's. I must have seen every episode three or four times because I remember them with great clarity.
 
I also find it hilarious that it's showing at 11 at night when the kiddies are supposed to be asleep. My sister was watching it at the tender age of 5 and I at 13.
 
I absoultely love the first season. It was an absurd mixture straight out of a John Waters movie. Everything fits together: the wonderful incedental music by Mark Mothersbaugh; the strange toys; the puppets; the speedo-wearing, buff and tan Tito the lifeguard; and the Divine Mrs. Steve.
 
The second season started up the other night - wow, what a disappointment. I forgot how much things changed. And not for the better, in my opinion.
 
In the first episode of the second season, Pee Wee is redecorating his playhouse and everything's under drop cloths. I guess this is their way of easing the kids at home into the big changes.
 
And those changes in order of what irks me most are:
  • Captain Carl (the always funny late Phil Hartman) is gone
  • The incedental music of Mark Mothersbaugh is replaced by that of The Residents and is more like traditional cartoon music than Mothersbaugh's subtle stylings
  • the cute and sassy Dixie is replaced by the trio of flowers who now announce the King of Cartoon's arrival (lame!)
  • the bedroom-eyed Globey, who always looked as if he were looking directly at whomever was talking to him, is replaced by a new cartoony, beady-eyed one (although the French accent remains)
  • there's a new King of Cartoons (and a TV to replace the film projector; Pee Wee was righteously disappointed when the new King bestowed upon him the TV)
  • beefcake Tito the life guard (hey, everything can use more Tito!) is replaced by Ricardo the soccer player who wears more modest shorts and a shirt (a shirt?!)
  • the playhouse kids (did you know Opal was played by the ill-fated Natasha Lyonne?) are gone
  • the "Divine" Mrs. Steve is replaced by Mrs. Renee
Thankfully, Lawrence Fishburn remains as Cowboy Curtis. (hoooo-whee!)
 
I'll still watch, but I'll feel cheated.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would think the Residents would do a great job. I'll have to watch and judge for myself.